Big and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

This is my first time trying the America's Test Kitchen Big and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies, page 533 in the cookbook.  The whole recipe only makes 20 cookies and the instructions say 1/4 cup of dough for each, so they should be huge.  Mine are neither big, nor chewy.  Perhaps next time I will only put one cookie tray in at a time.  The other solution could be leaving them on the top rack for longer than 10, which is half the cooking time, as instructed.  My pizza stone was left in the oven as well.  Taking it out could change how the cookies bake. 
Besides moving the trays from rack to rack, the major difference between this recipe and the one I usually use, is separating the egg whites from the yolks, and incorporating them at different times.  I may try that with my regular recipe to see if there is any improvement.
In the end, I gave up on using 1/4 cup of dough per cookie and just made the smaller sized ones, as seen on the top. *sigh* Better luck next time.

view full image
"Trying a new chocolate chip cookie recipe...needs a bit of tweaking. "
On a brighter note, the little guy said they were delicious.  So sweet to me!
January 6, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment