Listening Session: Civil Wars Unplugged VH1


This morning I sat in the listening room waiting for my latte to be delivered by my darling husband. 

By the way, he has nearly mastered the leaf, as you can see.  

I was so busy snapping photos of said masterpiece and enjoying the fantastic flavor, I didn't realize he put a new album on the turntable.

The first song was one I know and love: I've Got this Friend.  Such a great sound and I love when I know the words to a piece.

It wasn't until song two, which I did not know by heart, that I realized the record playing was not our copy of Barton Hollow. Song two is Kingdom Come from the Hunger Games soundtrack; not what I was expecting.

Honestly, the clapping at the end of the songs should have been a dead give away this is a live version...did I mention the coffee??

At this point, I tune in to the music and take note of the fact, it is also an acoustic version. I ask my personal DJ husband "What IS this album?!" He proudly tells me Civil Wars Unplugged VH1.

Have I been under a rock? When did it come out? How do I not know about this? I have so many questions.

He shushes me.

I'm not kidding; there is no talking in the Listening Room, when "someone" is trying to listen.

Song three, even more baffling:  Portishead's Sour Time. I'm not familiar with the original, but the Civil Wars version is lovely, as is everything they do, so far as I am concerned.

Next up all the songs I expect from the Civil Wars: Poison and Wine, Barton Hollow and 20 years. Listening to them repeatedly  means I am very familiar with how these songs sound on MP3, which is good, decent.

The Barton Hollow album on vinyl is fantastic, but *this* acoustic, unplugged version, on vinyl, is SO...magical, ethereal even. I want to listen to it again tomorrow, that is how much I liked it.

It doesn't end there; the last song on the track list is a remake of Billie Jean!!! 

OMG. 

I had no idea. I was in complete shock, mouth open for at least the first verse. Just wow.

I found the YouTube video for you here. The vinyl is even better, completely superior sound!

Definitely my new favorite album.


March 13, 2013

2 comments:

  1. !! Can we listen this weekend? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! Coffee and music, it will be a wonderful Saturday.

      Delete