Homemade Valentines and Too Much Sugar

The moment of truth for Rett's Valentine's Day cards.  

Our 2nd grader couldn't care less about these cards, which means I had complete artist freedom.  If only I had known sooner. 

Photoshop was used to create a business card sized message:  "Have a sweet Valentine's Day, from Rett".  I believe this pink card stock is left over from my niece's birth announcements, she's 8 years old (insert hoarder comment here).

I wrote the students' names on the flip side, while Dr T used double stick tape to attach our teensie boxes of candy.

Remember my rant about why Nerds are best?  No sticky, chocolaty mess or weird wrappers to deal with either.

For the in class party, they had strawberry soda and vanilla ice cream floats.  Visually appealing for sure, not so appetizing if you ask me.
  
After all the floats had been consumed, it was time to hand out Valentines.  

Not what I had anticipated: some kids were giving out baggies full of candy!  

I was aghast.  

This isn't Halloween!  

Remind me next year to begin the month of February with an all-call to parents pleading with them to only include one small candy, and NO chocolate or nuts...or better yet, one of those water based tattoos that gets used up and washes away with the next bath.  We are currently employing our "Halloween strategy", where we siphon off a bit of candy with each passing day, to minimize the impact.

I feel wasteful throwing it in the garbage, so I have an alternate location I'm hiding it in, until I can find an opportunity to pawn it off on someone. Definitely worth the effort though to avoid rotten teeth and the dreaded sugar high. *sigh*

What are you doing with your Valentine's stash?  Or are we the only ones in this dilemma?
February 14, 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment